I’m writing this as I’m sat in the hairdressers on a Saturday morning; where I feel I’ve spent lots of my time over the last few months.
I was someone who said the immortal words, ‘I shalt never dye my hair’, yet I’ve spent many-a-hours over the last 6 months at the hairdressers getting…well, getting my hair dyed. As it’s me, (and if you’ve read any of my previous posts you will know I can’t do anything or go anywhere without doing any research) I most certainly read every post and watched every YouTube video I could find about dying my hair and I’ve still been surprised by a number of things.
So as I’m sat here waiting for the dye to set (I don’t even know if that’s the right term), I thought I’d make a list of the 5 things I wish I’d of known before I decided to do the deed and dye my hair, thus changing my hair-life forever.
1. You count down the days to hair washing day like you’re waiting for Christmas.
Seriously, you do. The best way to stop your dye from fading is to keep to as minimal number of washes as poss. For me it’s once on a Sunday. It sounds gross but dry shampoo is your best friend for all the many days in between.
2. You can’t blame random hairs found in awkward places such as draped over the fruit bowl or in the toilet basin (I really don’t get how hairs end up there) on anyone else. There’s no denying that bright red strand is yours and no one else’s…unless you live with Poison Ivy I suppose.
3. Your hair washing day will never be as entertaining as when your hair is dyed. If you opt for red like I did first time round…it’s literally like being in a horror movie. Shocking at first but makes for an interesting shower time if you use your imagination.
4. Your in-laws will not be impressed when they find a large bright pink patch on the back of their new sofa. Errr…yeah, lets move on.
5. Your family and friends will be as quick at telling you how fab your new ‘do’ looks just as quickly as they’ll go ‘woahhh you do realise your hair is green!?!?!’.
See you next time